Parents and learners have expressed both displeasure and frustration after the minister of education and training’s last minute announcement of altered dates for reopening of schools.
Minister Ntlhoi Motsamai announced on Saturday that only grade 10,11, and 12 leaners would resume learning on Monday this week, while the other classes will reopen in ohases from January 18 to February 1.
A parent of a student attending at St Stephens in Mohales’ Hoek ‘Maitumeleng Molemo described the change in reopening dates as ‘frustrating’ as she had already prepared for all her children to go back to school in line with the initial date of January 4.
“My child is in grade 9 and stays with her grandmother while in Mohale’s Hoek. She had already departed as she was under the impression that schools were reopening on Monday.
“It is very disappointing the change was announced at the eleventh hour. These people seem not to not understand preparations involve money. Now I have to go to Mohale’s Hoek again to fetch my child since she is reopening in February.
Motsamai also proclaimed that early childhood development centres, grade 5, grade 6 and grade seven students will reopen on January 18. All other classes will resume on February 01.
“As for grade 7 students, they will continue to submit applications for admission to secondary schools. They will apply at the schools that they will be doing their grade 87.
The ministry will make sure to facilitate remedial teaching, to supply teachers with teachers’ guides,’ she said.
A student Moipone Selebalo, who is also in grade 9, said she is not entirely disappointed given the current spike in Covid-19, which makes schooling frightening.