Friday, August 21, 2026
15.5 C
Lesotho

Tšepong dares govt

By Kefiloe Kajane

The Tšepong consortium which manages Queen ‘Mamohato Memorial Hospital is accusing the government of defaulting on the public private partnership agreement that governs the hospital.

Government last week announced its intention to terminate the agreement, and Netcare has responded by disclosing its intention to challenge this stance, as it is convinced that it is indeed the government that has defaulted on its obligation under the agreement.

“Netcare notes the alleged media statements by the minister of health of government’s intention to terminate the 18-year-long public private partnership agreement, which is now in its 13 year.

“Netcare remains committed to providing Basotho citizens with the best and safest care, and will keep engaging The government on these issues in an effort to avoid any disruption to service delivery.”  

The Group released a statement this week after the government last week announced their plans to cut ties with the hospital.

They indicated that the Tšepong board, on February 22, held a special board meeting which was attended by Netcare, Afrinnai, D10, WIC and Excel which unanimously resolved that Tšepong had no option but to maintain the current terms of employment and continue with the arbitration process.

The statement further said that, given that the arbitration process has commenced and the critical need to continue providing essential healthcare services to the Basotho, the striking staff were encouraged to return to work.

“Tšepong remains sympathetic to the rights of workers as well as the staff’s grievances. Regrettably, the funding required to restore parity falls outside of what is affordable to Tšepong. Despite Tšepong continuously imploring staff to have faith in the arbitration process and to return to work, 265 staff members (and not 345 as reported in the media) elected not to return to work and were subsequently dismissed.

“Many nursing staff, however, did not participate in the illegal strike, maintained faith in the arbitration process, and continued to provide services during this uncertain period. Hospital services have therefore continued, and the health and safety of patients remain the hospital management and staff’s priority, especially during these difficult Covid-19 times.

“Non-critical services such as outpatient services continue without much disruption. In-patient and emergency services also continue and QMMH continues to maintain the average number of in-patients ordinarily treated per day while maintaining safe nurse-to-patient ratios,” the statement read.

It further noted that the manner in which the matter has evolved is regrettable. It said the media articles have suggested that Tšepong absorbs as much as 50 percent of Lesotho’s annual health budget.

“This is factually incorrect. Tšepong in fact only absorbs between 22 percent and 25 percent of the 2020/21 annual health budget.”

Hot this week

60th Independence anniversary celebrations launched

Government has  launched the country's 60th Independence anniversary celebrations, unveiling a...

IEC mulls harmonised elections

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) is considering harmonising the...

IEC seek police help over security gaps

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has engaged police to investigate...

Govt to reconstruct Letša la Letsie dam wall

Government has announced plans to reconstruct the Letša la Letsie Dam wall in...

Lesotho excluded from new US tariff measures

Government has welcomed the country’s exclusion from the United States’...

Topics

60th Independence anniversary celebrations launched

Government has  launched the country's 60th Independence anniversary celebrations, unveiling a...

IEC mulls harmonised elections

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) is considering harmonising the...

IEC seek police help over security gaps

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has engaged police to investigate...

Govt to reconstruct Letša la Letsie dam wall

Government has announced plans to reconstruct the Letša la Letsie Dam wall in...

Lesotho excluded from new US tariff measures

Government has welcomed the country’s exclusion from the United States’...

Heavy snowfall forces temporary closure of Qacha’s Nek border post

Operations at the Qacha’s Nek Port of Entry between...

LHDA to plant 40, 000 trees at LHWP sites

The Lesotho Highlands Development Authority (LHDA) will on Friday launch an initiative to...

Matekane in Abuja for trade summit 

Prime Minister Sam Matekane is in Abuja, Nigeria for the "Breaking...
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x