Friday, August 21, 2026
15.5 C
Lesotho

ARCHIVES: ‘Shoot to kill’ in Lesotho

South African army commanders have vowed to be more aggressive in the Lesotho capital, Maseru, where their troops are trying to restore order after a military uprising.

Speaking from Pretoria, the commanders said South African soldiers would now operate a shoot-to-kill policy to suppress continuing violent protests.

South African President Nelson Mandela on Wednesday publicly endorsed the military intervention in Lesotho, saying it had been essential to end “chaos and anarchy”.

The intervention began on Tuesday after weeks of unrest caused by allegations of fraud during general elections in May.

Mr Mandela, who was not in South Africa when the intervention was ordered, warmly praised Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi, the acting president, for his handling of the situation.

“I am satisfied that they have handled it very well,” Mr Mandela said.

However, the operation met unexpectedly heavy-armed opposition and at least nine South African troops were killed. According to Mr Mandela, 58 members of the Lesotho armed forces also died.

The BBC’s correspondent in Maseru, Jeremy Vine, says reports allegedly leaked from senior South African soldiers suggest dismay at the lack of preparation and planning for this military operation.

Meanwhile, King Letsie of Lesotho is reported to have called for talks with the South African Government and opposition about the intervention.

Acting President, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, told the BBC that South African soldiers would stay until the situation was peacefully resolved.

He said: “We regard this as a very serious attempt to try and normalise the situation at the request of the legitimate government of Lesotho.”

Meanwhile, Britain is trying to organise a military convoy to evacuate British nationals from Lesotho to South Africa.

The intervention has left Maseru in chaos, and its citizens are blaming the foreign troops for the violence and gang looting.

The South African news agency reported that some 600 supporters of the beleaguered Lesotho ruling party had fled into South Africa to escape attacks by the opposition.

Lesotho’s opposition has warned that there is no short-term military solution to the crisis.

Recent troubles

Lesotho has experienced seven weeks of anti-government protests, some of them violent, after the disputed election. The opposition complained that May’s general election, which gave the ruling Congress for Democracy 79 out of 80 seats, was rigged.

Earlier in September, 15 senior officers fled Lesotho for South Africa. They had been arrested by junior ranks and forced to resign in a disagreement over military intervention to end six weeks of unrest in the capital.

Hot this week

60th Independence anniversary celebrations launched

Government has  launched the country's 60th Independence anniversary celebrations, unveiling a...

IEC mulls harmonised elections

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) is considering harmonising the...

IEC seek police help over security gaps

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has engaged police to investigate...

Govt to reconstruct Letša la Letsie dam wall

Government has announced plans to reconstruct the Letša la Letsie Dam wall in...

Lesotho excluded from new US tariff measures

Government has welcomed the country’s exclusion from the United States’...

Topics

60th Independence anniversary celebrations launched

Government has  launched the country's 60th Independence anniversary celebrations, unveiling a...

IEC mulls harmonised elections

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) is considering harmonising the...

IEC seek police help over security gaps

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has engaged police to investigate...

Govt to reconstruct Letša la Letsie dam wall

Government has announced plans to reconstruct the Letša la Letsie Dam wall in...

Lesotho excluded from new US tariff measures

Government has welcomed the country’s exclusion from the United States’...

Heavy snowfall forces temporary closure of Qacha’s Nek border post

Operations at the Qacha’s Nek Port of Entry between...

LHDA to plant 40, 000 trees at LHWP sites

The Lesotho Highlands Development Authority (LHDA) will on Friday launch an initiative to...

Matekane in Abuja for trade summit 

Prime Minister Sam Matekane is in Abuja, Nigeria for the "Breaking...
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x