Friday, August 21, 2026
15.5 C
Lesotho

Diamonds auction in pipeline

By Kefiloe Kajane

A sigh of relief may eventually come for the illegal diamond holders who surrendered the gems to the ministry of mining as the stones are to be sold in less than five weeks starting today.

This follows today’s announcement in the National Assembly by mining minister Serialong Qoo that cabinet has approved sale of the stones totaling 492 in possession of the mining ministry.

Of the total number of stones to be auctioned, 140 of them were surrendered by the illegal dealers.  The government had issued an amnesty that ended in March this year for submission of the precious stones by the illegal holders

But due to reluctance by the holders to surrender their resources, the legal dealers suggested the government should have extended the grace period for five years

The rest of the diamonds were confiscated by the police from unauthorized personnel. some of whom were arrested, charged and convicted for illegal possession of these valuable stones.

The government, through parliament, last year issued a year and two-month amnesty to the illegal diamonds holders to surrender their gems to the mining department.

According to Qoo, there were 352 diamonds that have been collected since 2001 from people who had them illegally.

He disclosed that money obtained from the surrendered rocks will be given to those who submitted them to the department.

 “We had initially said the government will take 4 percent from the profits but we decided that since they handed them in voluntarily, they will get all their dues. The money from the diamonds that have been collected from people who did not hand them in, will go to the government account.

“The ministry has already met with experts that will classify the diamonds according to their value and it is expected that during the auction those who surrendered the stones will be present,” Qoo told the National Assembly.

King Letsie III and prime minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro are to witness the sale.

Hot this week

60th Independence anniversary celebrations launched

Government has  launched the country's 60th Independence anniversary celebrations, unveiling a...

IEC mulls harmonised elections

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) is considering harmonising the...

IEC seek police help over security gaps

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has engaged police to investigate...

Govt to reconstruct Letša la Letsie dam wall

Government has announced plans to reconstruct the Letša la Letsie Dam wall in...

Lesotho excluded from new US tariff measures

Government has welcomed the country’s exclusion from the United States’...

Topics

60th Independence anniversary celebrations launched

Government has  launched the country's 60th Independence anniversary celebrations, unveiling a...

IEC mulls harmonised elections

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) is considering harmonising the...

IEC seek police help over security gaps

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has engaged police to investigate...

Govt to reconstruct Letša la Letsie dam wall

Government has announced plans to reconstruct the Letša la Letsie Dam wall in...

Lesotho excluded from new US tariff measures

Government has welcomed the country’s exclusion from the United States’...

Heavy snowfall forces temporary closure of Qacha’s Nek border post

Operations at the Qacha’s Nek Port of Entry between...

LHDA to plant 40, 000 trees at LHWP sites

The Lesotho Highlands Development Authority (LHDA) will on Friday launch an initiative to...

Matekane in Abuja for trade summit 

Prime Minister Sam Matekane is in Abuja, Nigeria for the "Breaking...
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x