Thursday, May 21, 2026
4.3 C
Lesotho

US aid freeze won’t affect availability of ARVs

Health minister, Selibe Mochoboroane has reassured the nation that the country will not falter in its fight against HIV/AIDS, despite the US government’s decision to halt foreign assistance.

Mochoboroane said the government remains committed to providing antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) to all 240,000 patients currently receiving treatment in the country, assuring that the HIV treatment programme will not be disrupted.

This comes after US President Donald Trump recently signed executive orders enacting a 90-day pause on foreign assistance and also pulling his country from the World Health Organisation.

According to Mochoboroane, Trump’s order does not endanger Lesotho’s ARV supply as 73 percent of medication is procured directly by the government and an additional 23 percent provided by the Global Fund.

“Since the Global Fund is not covered by President Trump’s executive orders, the ARV supply chain remains intact,” Mochoboroane said in Maseru yesterday at an event to commemorate World Cancer Day.

However, the US’ decision to pull out of the WHO could have adverse effects on Lesotho’s health sector as the economic giant contributes 18 percent ($500million) of the WHO’s budget.

This would significantly reduce the funding the WHO provides to countries like Lesotho, which received M30 million last year.

Mochoboroane further indicated that the existing supply of HIV and TB testing commodities, as well as the capacity of laboratories, will only be able to sustain testing efforts for eight months, if the US aid freeze persists.

Despite the potential setbacks to the country’s public health system, Mochoboroane divulged some positive news, announcing that the US had agreed to waive the termination of employment for 1,500 health workers initially funded by USAID. The health workers who had been helping to manage HIV and TB cases in the country, will continue to receive support.

Hot this week

LEAD seeks to boost energy access

The second Lesotho Energy Access Dialogue(LEAD) ended in Maseru today, bringing together key stakeholders...

Summit aims to build stronger creator ecosystem

Basotho social media influencers HalifeleKhoeli, popularly known as Mavele, and ThuloMotaung, known...

Lesotho to launch climate disaster project 

The government is currently officially launching a new project aimed...

Journalists sharpen skills on TIP, child labour reporting

MISA Lesotho in collaboration with World Vision International Lesotho...

Parly moves to adopt Code of Conduct for MPs

The Ethics, Code of Conduct, Immunities and Privileges Committee has presented...

Topics

LEAD seeks to boost energy access

The second Lesotho Energy Access Dialogue(LEAD) ended in Maseru today, bringing together key stakeholders...

Summit aims to build stronger creator ecosystem

Basotho social media influencers HalifeleKhoeli, popularly known as Mavele, and ThuloMotaung, known...

Lesotho to launch climate disaster project 

The government is currently officially launching a new project aimed...

Journalists sharpen skills on TIP, child labour reporting

MISA Lesotho in collaboration with World Vision International Lesotho...

Parly moves to adopt Code of Conduct for MPs

The Ethics, Code of Conduct, Immunities and Privileges Committee has presented...

Lesotho to host fourth public-private dialogue

By Karabo Nkoe The government, in partnership with the private...

PM urges caution 

Prime Minister Sam Matekane has urged Basotho to cooperate with disaster management authorities and...

Lesotho to host regional education assessment conference 

Lesotho will host the 15th Southern Africa Association for...
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x